Monday, November 12, 2012

Paper Embroidery Tip

Need to punch holes in paper for paper embroidery? I was doing this recently for the online class (An Embroiderer’s Ledger). The paper in my journal was quite thick and I was having difficulty getting the needle through. After nearly creasing the paper a few times I decided there must be a way to make this easier.

Small padded surface

I grabbed a small padded surface I had close by and put it behind my page. Now I could just push the needle through the paper into the padding. Worked great!

Black foam pad

I now use a piece of thick craft foam (from the children's craft section) for this process but a piece of dense foam, thick foamcore board, or a handmade padded surface would also work. A flat piece of Styrofoam would also do the trick. Of course some of these would begin to crumble or become unusable if you use it a lot.

And some of these would dull your needle faster so you may need to sharpen your needle every now and then. You could use one of my needle candies for this!

Happy Stitching!   Rose

3 comments:

margaret said...

I have never tried stitching on paper but your tip sounds just right.

stickyfingers said...

good idea, but a cutting mat or scrap of surplus vinyl flooring works well too and doesn't blunt your needles!

stickyfingers said...

good idea, but a cutting mat or scrap of surplus vinyl flooring works well too and doesn't blunt your needles!

love the needle candies, cute idea