Tuesday, January 1, 2019

WELCOME 2019!


And welcome back to my blog! I haven’t been blogging for quite awhile but it is something I enjoy doing so I’m going to give it a go again.
Enjoyment comes from writing down ideas, projects, thoughts, hints and tips and whatever else comes along. I don’t know how many posts I’ve written in my head but never but down to keystrokes or even handwriting. It’s time to get it out of my head and down where someone else can read it and maybe be blessed by it. But even if that doesn’t happen it is good for me to be able to look back on what I have accomplished. So here goes.
Lately I’ve been thinking of a new way to increase my income (if you are on a fixed income you probably understand the need to at least consider). In doing some research I came across a group on Facebook called Stitch Meditation. I decided to give it a go and am actually enjoying it. The basics of it are simple just spend 15-30 minutes a day hand stitching. Now I’ve done that in the past with my embroidery just to get me to finish things. It worked quite well and so it is doable for me.
There are no real rules to it – well really only one rule – you are not to take out any stitches you make. Not even the un-perfect ones. And I’m okay with that because I think those are the ones that make the piece uniquely yours. We are encouraged to stick to a small format –
About 4X4 inches although some are working on much larger pieces. Another encouragement is to spend no more than 3-5 minutes getting you pieces of fabric, threads, trims, etc. together. Many of us are setting up small “kits” ready to start stitching.
I worked up 17 pieces doing one a day. One day I missed but that’s okay. I’m planning on trying to get 365 of these little collages done this year.
One of the questions I get asked is “what are you going to do with them?”. The short answer: Enjoy.
That’s my word for the year Enjoy.
I enjoy hand stitching.
I enjoy collage work.
I enjoy using up bits and pieces (and I have a lot of those!).
I enjoy sharing my work with others and encouraging and inspiring them.
I enjoy all of the likes, hearts, comments, and compliments I receive.
So for now I have no plans for them other than to take them out and enjoy them. I do have thoughts as to how to use some of them in the future.
For now just enjoy them along with me!

My first six stitch meditations
These are the pieces I made in 2018. I will post new ones here and on Facebook and elsewhere.
The Christmas Series
 
And the last for 2018



Keep on stitching (and collaging)!

Rose

2 comments:

Carol said...

I believe I am going to enjoy your blog. :) One question though. You mentioned thinking about adding some income, I also am on a fixed income. But then you never really said anything more about that in your thoughts. Curious as to if you were thinking this meditations with stitching had a part in that or where your thoughts were going with that. I also am on a fixed income and any thoughts are always appreciated. :)

Rose said...

Hi Carol, I'm still thinking about adding income. I do have an Etsy shop and will be updating a second one for my new direction which will be more towards hand embroidery designs and kits for fiber arts. I am trying to develop something for small children as well. My granddaughter is 4 and very interested in what I make.