Friday, February 1, 2019

I did it! 30 Daily Stitch Meditations!

The first 30 Stitch Meditations for 2019

Here’s a look at all of them. I’m going to explore with you some of hat them in more depth as we go along. Some I like more than others; some have taught me valuable lessons about myself and my style. But the first ones I’m going to cover are these.
Recently a friend was giving away strips of fabric she wanted to get rid of. They had been decorated by students at a workshop she taught. I took 3 of her strips but had no idea why.
Then I started researching an idea I had to see if anyone else was doing it. Well you know what happens online in places like google; Pinterest; Flickr and the likes. Rabbit holes are all over the place! I stumbled on this technique and realized that was what was going on with those fabric strips.
About the same time I came across the Stitch Meditation group on Facebook. I joined in and started creating little mini fabric collages which became a perfect place to use pieces of the strips. I’ve indicated where the strip was used on each piece.
First up are the “whole cloth” ones, only stitches were added to these and sometimes some buttons and lace. 
One took on the appearance of a fan.
Fan shape with lace trim
Another one had faces looking out at me. 
Faces one side view one straight on

One spoke to me of a summer cloudburst. 
Summer cloudburst over the hills

And then there was just stitches wandering around buttons and space.
Stitches and buttons wandering around

Placed with other fabric they blended in sometimes just a square in the middle,
Square in the middle
sometimes most of the middle,
Most of the middle section
or on the left side.
On the left side
One even joined with a piece of felt leftover from a stitching project my 4 year old granddaughter and I made.
A piece of felt and lots of stitching

Now back to the rabbit hole:
The process is simply using pre-washed fabric, rubbing alcohol and Sharpie pens. You can do it flat or place the fabric over a jar or some type of container and then use rubber bands to hold the fabric in place.
You color the fabric with two or three markers and then spritz it with a little rubbing alcohol or use an eye dropper to drop the rubbing alcohol onto the colored area. Then be patient and watch the magic happen. The color will start to spread. You can add more rubbing alcohol if desired or wait for the fabric to dry (takes just minutes) and then add more color and/or rubbing alcohol.
Some Sharpies will not work; like the ones made for fabric or the fast drying ones.
This process requires experimentation, patience, and imagination. The fabric should be heat set with an iron for 5 minutes (keep moving the iron to keep from scorching the fabric and use a press cloth), or it can be placed in a dryer.
It is best to use this fabric where it will not require washing.


Enjoy!
Rose

No comments: